Seeing is Believing

A danger in traveling abroad to so many incredible destinations is the possibility of not really experiencing the history, culture, and beauty of simply being alive at these momentous places.
When we went to so many tourist attractions in London, I just noticed more and more how many people would just pose for a picture, take a selfie with the London Eye or with Big Ben, and that was the extent of it. Lots of people don’t even really look, much less learn about the landmark’s history or impact. It drove me crazy. Of course, there’s nothing wrong with taking a picture for the memory, but the instance and ease of capturing moments has lost its beauty on this world. 
I often found myself staring at the skyline of the city or watching a bird soar over this ancient place while so many other people were busy buying keychains or posting on Instagram. It was very frustrating to me because what’s the point of being here if you’re not really here?
I tried hard not to be just another pair of shoes walking just for the sake of saying, “I’ve been here,” but inevitably, it’s hard to consistently achieve. 
One of the ways I try to make sure I really experience a place is by making art of it, like in landscapes of the different skylines and countrysides that are so easy just to snap a picture of and move on. By deliberately taking my time to study the shapes, colors, and details, I really feel appreciative of every component.
I also value authentic ways to spend my time in all these foreign places; just walking in a city without plans and avoiding spending fortunes on attractions is both cost-effective and feels to me much more of a realistic adventure. I love seeing how the people talk and walk around their homes, and what the neighborhoods are like, and what the locals do in their daily lives. 
Just visiting the most famous places to me is like ignoring the actual place, and only cherry picks out pieces of a larger culture that lives and breathes every day, beautiful in its own way.

Rolling hills of green in Dingle, Ireland

Liffey River under O'Connell Street in Dublin, Ireland

Beaumaris Castle in Wales

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Beast From the East

London Sunday

Welcome to Maynooth